The White House says the United States will not be bullied into banning Muslim immigrants from entering the country.

In an open letter to lawmakers Tuesday, President Barack Obama defended the presidents decision to bar refugees from entering as “the right thing to do.”

In a letter to the House of Representatives, the White House said it “does not take the threat of violence or violence-related threats lightly.”

But the president also called on Congress to enact legislation that would “impose additional restrictions on refugees, including through visa bans and other restrictions on entry.”

The letter from the White, State, Homeland Security and Justice Departments, along with the Department of Homeland Security, said the president had decided that the U.S. should not “encourage people from places like Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, and other countries that are known for carrying out acts of terror.”

“The U.N. Security Council unanimously reaffirmed the necessity of a global and coordinated response to the threat posed by ISIL,” the letter said.

The letter also said that the president has “made clear his commitment to continue to pursue diplomatic and economic measures to combat ISIL and its affiliates.”

Trump has pledged to ban Muslims from entering America.

Earlier this month, the administration said it would not enforce the ban.

But on Tuesday, the president said the U,S.

would take a “proportionate” response to a terrorist attack in New York City that left eight people dead.

The president said Monday that he did not expect to see any immediate changes to his executive order on refugees.

He said he is still evaluating the order.

“I have no intention of issuing an executive order.

I’ve been in the business of issuing orders,” Trump said.

“We’re going to look at it very carefully and make the right decision.”